Monday 8 April 2013

1. In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products? - DRAFT

I would say that my magazine has similar conventions to real products and some unconventional features. 

The title of my magazine 'Beat' is typical of a music magazine as it relates to music. The irregular thing about my title is that 'Beat' relates to all kinds of music but my magazine is just based on the indie/alternative genre.
The cover is conventional as the masthead is placed at the top of the magazine which most magazine do, also the title is short which i guess is done to make it more recognisable to audiences and many magazine do this e.g, NME, Q, Clash. Having a short and bold title will also grab the attention of readers and this attracts them to the magazine. I did this on my magazine for this reason.
The main image on the cover follows the rule of thirds with the image being directly in the centre which many magazines do and unconventional magazines may not follow this at all and have their images anywhere on the page. This is effective but i thought that my magazine would look better if i followed this and have my image in  the middle. Having the image i the middle also helps the cover lines stand out as they can be used evenly in the space around the image, which i have done with cover lines either side of the image and the main cover lines on the image.
My front page is set out in a fairly simple manner, the main image takes up a large part of the page as it's a mid shot. This resulted in a  few blank white spaces, so I put cover lines in than i originally planned to.  I feel the final cover has enough content to fill the page but not so much that it looks overcrowded.

My contents page is set out in a more complicated way although I feel that it is still easy to understand and read. I have made lists of the features included and images of the main stories in the magazine. The contents page is split up into three columns, i feel that this is quite conventional as many magazine use this similar layout with an image at the top of the page with the contents underneath.

The double page spread is set out in quite a formal style, this arguably goes against the normal conventions of the indie/alternative genre where the layout can be fairly messy and a bit unconnected in places.

1 comment:

  1. This is a very basic post; there is so much you could say here! Have your magazine in front of you( or open in a new tab) and really look at what you have done. Give examples of the cover lines and say what the image is of. You can put a side-by-side image of a 'complex' double page spread and then say what you think you have developed and challenged.

    ReplyDelete