Wednesday 30 January 2013

Colour Scheme ideas

I want the colour scheme on my magazine to be quite simplistic as i think this will have a good effect on the magazine. I will use neutral colours and stick to 3 colours. I'd like the background to be either white or black because this makes the text and the model stand out more. I will maybe have 2 main colours and  1 contrasting colour that I will use either on the masthead, image on the cover or text. The contrasting colour can also be used to highlight the importance of something in the magazine e.g page numbers, pull quotes.  





I like this colour scheme as the blue contrast well with a black background and white text that would be on the magazine. A good example of this colour scheme is Clash magazines cover on above. The blue on this cover contrast really well with the black background and the white text. If I did use this colour scheme I will make my cover have a black background with white text or blue text and the masthead would be large in a bold white font.   
   
                                                                                                                                                                                                 

Above is an issue of NME magazine, this uses a red/white/black colour scheme. I will use the colour scheme (red/white/dark grey) above in a similar way. With the red/white/dark grey colour scheme there are many different variations of ways I can use this on my magazine. I could make the masthead red on the white background and use the dark grey as the cover lines and text. Having a white background will make the image on the front of the magazine stand out. The white background would also be in on the contents page and double page spread because  white gives a magazine a clean look,  also having grey/black text will also make it look sharp and appealing to readers. The red can be used also to show the importance of something on the magazine, for example on the contents page, the main article could be highlighted in red to show it's more important the other contents on the page. Also red could be used as the colour for pull quotes in the double page spread interview because this would contrast well with the white background and the grey/black text.

I cant decide without seeing them on a draft of my magazine so I will try both of these colour scheme ideas on my draft  and decide from there which looks better and use this as my final idea.

1 comment:

  1. An effective post. Amend the layout slightly so that the colour palettes are the same size and add a magazine cover example to the 2nd palette.

    ReplyDelete